Health & Safety
Wood heat may be an affordable, comfortable and safe option for many rural Alaska homes. The cost calculator will help determine if wood heat is the most economic option. Currently there are no wood pallet manufacturers in Alaska, so the most sustainable wood heat option here is to buy and burn firewood cut from local forests.
Wood heat safety starts with tree cutting and log splitting , moves to handling and hauling wood, continues with proper installation and maintenance of the wood burning appliance (stove or fireplace insert) and chimney, includes drying and storing firewood, and health concerns with wood heating.
Learn more about
- Chainsaw Safety
- Handling and Hauling Wood Safely
- Proper installation of stoves and chimneys
- Drying and Storing Firewood Safely
- Health Concerns with Wood Heating
- On-line heat cost calculator
Compare the costs of different fuels
- Home Heating applications
Learn how to heat your home most effectively
- Wood availability by region
Learn what species are available to you, and what they may cost